November is Virginia Oyster month all across the commonwealth!
VIRGINIA OYSTER TRAIL GET-AWAY DRAWING
As we roll into Virginia Oyster Month we invite you to participate in the Recreation News, Chincoteague Virginia Oyster Trail Get Away drawing. Enjoy 3 days/2 nights on Chincoteague Island, a 200-year old history-rich village lying four miles off the Virginia Coast, exploring the ponies, beaches and oysters on the Virginia Oyster Trail (Value $1000). Your getaway includes lodging at the colorful coastal Key West Cottages with pool access and complimentary breakfast. Enjoy fresh local seafood at Don’s Seafood Restaurant and at Ray’s Shanty, menus feature the unparalleled briny flavors of the Chincoteague Salt Oysters. (see more details below).
Explore pristine undeveloped beaches with wild ponies on Assateague Island and Museum of Chincoteague to see the artfully preserved Chincoteague ponies known as Misty and Stormy. Your adventure continues on the water as you tour Chincoteague to Assateague waterways with Daisey’s Island Cruises.
Allow time to immerse yourself in a waterman’s life at Tom’s Cove Aqua Farms, offering the finest and freshest oysters harvested from the cool, clear waters found around the historic seafood town of Chincoteague Island. Top off your quintessential Chincoteague getaway with a scoop of delicious homemade ice cream from the Island Creamery.
Ask a Local
A Waterman’s Perfect Day in Chincoteague:
- Start your day early and go to Assateague Island for sunrise on the seaside.
- Head back to your waterside Hotel and have breakfast or pick up donuts at Sandy Point Donuts or Little Whippy.
- Get on the water for a few hours with and eco-tour from Daisey’s Island Cruises.
- Stop for late Lunch at Don’s Seafood and try their local garlic roasted oysters on the half shell and signature Red Velvet Smith Island Cake.
- Take a nap, then check out the beach and the Chincoteague ponies, grab an ice cream cone at the Island Creamery.
- Experience the life of a waterman by touring Tom’s Cove Aqua Farms. Get down to the dock and check out the hatchery.
- Happy Hour at Ropewalk on the water.
- Top of the day with a full course oyster dinner at Ray's Shanty.
Favorite Eastern Shore event:
Best thing about living on the Eastern Shore:
- “Our idea of a traffic jam is hitting the same light twice.”
ASK A VISITOR
ASK THE VIRGINIA OYSTER TRAIL
Look for us at local festivals and events around the state. Here’s where you will find us this month:
- NOV 3-4 Urbanna Oyster Festival: Stop by the Virginia Oyster Trail booth at the Urbanna Oyster Festival, Friday, November 3rd & Saturday, November 4th and drop your name in our White Boot to enter a drawing for a chance to win a Virginia Oyster Trail basket of goodies.
- NOV 17-18, Virginia’s Aquaculture Conference: Learn more at the Virginia’s Aquaculture Conference, November 17-18. We’ll be with an information booth and to present a workshop with our industry partner, the Virginia Tourism Corporation on how to “Engage Virginia’s Economic Engine: Tourism, Trails and Marketing”. Enjoy numerous industry topics and a Friday evening gala featuring Virginia wine, beer and oyster pairings. Registration is required. CLICK HERE TO ENROLL.
Get on the Trail to experience Virginia's 8 regional oyster flavors, meet Virginia’s AQUA-ARTISANS and immerse yourself in the vibrant coastal communities where they live, work and play. With many oyster festivals and member activities happening across the Commonwealth, be sure to check the event calendar frequently for updates and details.