About The Virginia Oyster Trail
The Virginia Oyster Trail rallies local communities all across the Commonwealth and invites visitors to participate in “journey of discovery” eco-tourism experiences exploring the many “flavors” of Virginia’s Oysters and the distinctive watermen/aquaculture coastal way of life.
Fundamental to highlighting visitor experiences the program focuses on increasing awareness of the benefits Virginia Oysters have on local economies, with emphasis on community development, environmental stewardship, entrepreneurial growth, health attributes and regional cultural assets.
We’re not just building a trail. We’re cultivating local economy.
The Virginia Oyster Trail operates under the guidance of an industry-centric, all-volunteer Board of Directors. We gratefully acknowledge the generous support of the organizations and individuals, who, through their commitment to the Virginia Oyster Trail, are contributing to its success.
Virginia Oyster Trail Board of Directors:
- Shannon Alexander (VOT Board Secretary) Bay Country Kayaking
- Lisa Hamaker (VOT Board Treasurer) Taste Virginia Tours
- Alva Jackson, Ma Margaret’s House Bed & Breakfast
- Harry Jarrett, On Sunny Slope Farm
- Tommy Leggett, Chessie Seafood and Aquafarms/York River Oysters
- Mike Oesterling, Shellfish Growers of Virginia
- Phyllis Reynolds, Byrd’s Seafood & Dredge Restaurant
- Stacey Shiflet (VOT Board Vice President of Membership) Virginia Beach Restaurant Association
- Sherri Smith, Lander Creative
- Bruce Vogt (VOT Board President) Big Island Aquaculture
- D’Arcy Weiss, Slurpfest Events