WE’RE NOT JUST BUILDING A TRAIL,
WE’RE CULTIVATING A LOCAL ECONOMY!
The Virginia Oyster Trail (VOT) is a visitor-directed experiential “journey of discovery” connecting “aqua-artisan” oyster businesses, producers/purveyors, seafood restaurants and raw bars, pairings with wine and craft beers and spirits, experiential eco-tours, unique lodging and cultural sites in Virginia’s distinctive coastal region for the ultimate Virginia Oyster travel experience.
ENROLL NOW TO ENJOY THESE BENEFITS:
VISIBILITY AND BRANDING TOOLS
Free lease of a “Virginia Oyster Trail” metal locator sign for active trail members.
Use of the Virginia Oyster Trail logo for PR (Brand Usage Policy applies).
UNIQUE INDIVIDUAL BUSINESS PROFILE
High profile business page, offering “demi website” visibility and integration on the Virginia Oyster Trail (VOT) website:
- New! business-2 business dashboard for log in ease and networking/collaboration/communicating with other member businesses.
- Display images and your logo
- Feature a tagline or attention grabbing quote
- Homepage visibility rotation of your owner image and profile link
- Spotlight section for Virginia Oyster alignment
- Add your “call to action” business tagline
- Describe your hours of operation with a narrative option
- Featured on mobile responsive map with visitor trip planning functionality
- Visitor enticement - “save to my itinerary” invitational call out
- Professional distinction listings & shell recycling button
- Description space with full editing/image and linking capabilities
- Crosslink to other trail sites you partner with
- Comprehensive contact information
- Link direct to your website
- Social media buttons options to link to your Facebook, Virginia.org, TripAdvisor, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Etsy.
CALENDAR AND DIGITAL MEDIA
Add your upcoming Virginia Oyster related events and promotions on the Virginia Oyster Trail Calendar of Events.
The monthly Virginia Oyster Trail White Boot Blog reaches oyster lovers worldwide to share interesting Virginia Oyster-related topics on a more personal level.
SOCIAL MEDIA & VISITOR TRIP PLANNER
Virginia Oyster Trail social media feeds are a quick and easy way to share content with multiple social media sites.
The Virginia Oyster Trail positioned as a great resource for oyster related content to help visitors plan their adventures and as a conduit for tourism in Virginia.
DYNAMIC GOOGLE MAPPING & VISITOR TRIP PLANNER
One of the most used features on the Virginia Oyster Trail is the dynamic Google map system with it’s trip planning features to help visitors navigate their way along the trail.
On your member profile pages, visitors see exactly where you are on an interactive Google map. Your map pin shows your location, displays your name, tagline, address, and links directly to your profile page.
From your individual page, visitors can save your information to their trip planner for future reference as they plan their oyster adventures.
GENERAL CRITERIA – ALL VIRGINIA OYSTER TRAIL SITES
These general items apply to all trail sites. Click the tab that applies to your type of business for industry specifics and to be directed to the appropriate online application.
- The trail site features and promotes a genuine Virginia Oyster visitor experience.
- The trail site focuses and guarantees Virginia Oyster authenticity and quality.
- The trail site celebrates the cultural diversity of the region and reflects positively on its heritage.
- The trail site is well marked with a business sign (a VOT trail sign will be provided once qualified).
- The trail site specifies and maintains regular business hours. Seasonal hours are acceptable. Businesses that are open to the public “by appointment only” or fewer than two days per week will be considered.
- The trail site is visitor friendly, clean, safe and provides adequate restrooms, ample parking, directional signs, icon denoting handicap accessibility, etc.
- The trail site’s parking area is easily accessible by 2-wheel drive vehicles (4-wheel drive only access areas do not qualify).
- The trail site promotes, connects and collaborates with other trail site participants on the Virginia Oyster Trail.
- The trail site is featured or agrees to be featured on the Virginia Tourism Corporation website: Virginia.org (Note: other Virginia Oyster Industry related website participation is recommended however not required for trail participation).
Program Disclaimer: All trail site businesses/owners are solely responsible for complying with zoning regulations, ordinances, health and business licensing requirements as well as any required or discretionary insurance liability coverage in addition to taking steps to reduce/eliminate risk due to negligence.
Open enrollment on the Trail is year ‘round with exposure online in real-time, all the time. The enrollment application is subject to review to ensure the business meets participation criteria. Once you are approved, you will receive an official 'welcome' with the login codes and a trail sign will be made available.
Cultural Points of Interest
Places To Visit
Spotlight on Lancaster County in Virginia’s Northern Neck
- Call ahead
- Save your Trip Plan
- Paddle safety tips
- Ask about your oysters!