Clover Hill Village is an 1800s living history exhibit complete with buildings and re-enactors that demonstrate earlier life.
As a member of the Virginia Oyster Trail, Clover Hill Village is the site of the annual “Appomattox Oyster & Seafood Festival” which features & promotes, VA raised Oysters along with other foods including seafood, BBQ, Crab Cakes, ice cream, desserts, etc. The APX OysterFest attracts over 2k people to the Village where 30 craft vendors, 6 food vendors, 3-4 local craft breweries, 4-6 local wineries, and 2 distilleries (cocktail drinks) keep everyone busy while live bands provide music all day. A kids area makes this a family-friendly event. Information on the APX OysterFest can be found on Facebook by searching “@APX.OysterFest”. While on Facebook, look up our other festival, the “Clover Hill Village Wine Festival”, which also features & promotes VA raised Oysters as well. Search “@CHV.WineFest” for that info.
Clover Hill Village is a six acre living history village that was created by the Appomattox County Historical Society over a period of years beginning in 1991. Some of the buildings are local historic buildings that were moved from their original locations and reconstructed on the site. Other buildings are reproductions of actual buildings or representations of buildings for the period. Members of the Historical Society dress as re-enactors in period clothing during school field trips and other events. A working “Blacksmith Shop” is a big attraction with most kids and great learning experience for them as well. This shop was used from the early 1900’s to the mid 1920’s at its original location behind Hamilton’s store in Evergreen. It was relocated to Clover Hill Village in 1994. Our other buildings include the “General Store and Post Office” which are typical of many small village stores that provided essential services to the community during the period. Stores such as these often became the social center of the village. Our store building is a reproduction built from a picture of the Vermillion store in Appomattox that no longer exists. The “Poor House Cabin” typifies housing available on the county farm for the homeless or needy of the era. Often farm work could be traded for housing in the poor house cabin. The “Martin/Grady Cabin” dates back to around 1830 and was reconstructed at Clover Hill Village in 1994. The cabin contains a wealth of period furniture (much of it original to the cabin), memorabilia and furnishings for an authentic feel of life as it was then. This well worn cabin bespeaks the lives of those who called it home. Twelve children were born here. The large downstairs room is dominated by the stone fireplace. The upstairs loft is a fully furnished bedroom. Our “Winter Quarters” building is a typical example of the Confederate enlisted winter quarters. Many soldiers were grateful to have such buildings to shelter them from the brutal winters. We are very lucky to one of the oldest churches in the county, “Wesley Chapel”, in our village. It was built in 1828 and remained in use until 1939. It was moved to Clover Hill Village in April 1991. The chapel has original pews, podium, communion rail and oil burning chandeliers. It also has a working pump organ. The chapel can be rented by the public for weddings or other special functions. The “Hardy Schoolhouse” dates back to the early 1900’s and is believed to be the first school built in Appomattox County with government funding. Prior schools were usually privately built or located in privately owned buildings. Nearly 300 hours were spent by volunteer members of the Appomattox Historical Society in dismantling the school at its original site near Hixburg. Bricks, stone, siding, framing and interior wainscoting were carefully saved and moved to Clover Hill Village in the fall of 1998. Now restored to its original condition, this turn-of-the-century one room school exemplifies the simplicity of early education.
Professional Distinction: Demonstrations, Exhibition, Instruction
USE THIS SECTION TO DISPLAY COMPANY'S EVENTS